Last-minute attempt by O's to sign ace holding up trade

birdsfan4ever

We keep Bedard for some 5 year deal....Decide against BRob for Pie and Gallagher.

Go with what we have and wonder why we are the laughing stock of the sport.

What a bunch of morons.

I'm sure wildcard would be tickled pink.

But hey, Tex is all we need, right?

"Hey, how do you erase the federal deficit?"

"Sign Tex!!"

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems to me like this is just old news. The Orioles site on mlb.com is not quickest to pick up on info. For now, I'll personally choose to believe the news from Churchill and the hints Belkast keeps giving us, all the while keeping my fingers crossed.

Seriously?

How does this REMOTELY help us in negotiations?

Seriously.

It doesn't. What it does do is put a nice PR spin on the trade. "We really did all that we could to keep him but he had unreasonable demands...$ 100 million over 7 years..." The backspin to this is Seattle may want to back off if those were Bedard's real terms.

It doesn't. What it does do is put a nice PR spin on the trade. "We really did all that we could to keep him but he had unreasonable demands...$ 100 million over 7 years..."

Exactly. I'm amazed people here aren't seeing through this. I guess they've all just learned to expect the worst. Can't exactly blame them, but this one is transparent.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• It was a terrible trade for sure, but I think they knew they weren't going to be able to afford DeCinces as a free agent. Either way, he needed to get out from under Brooks' shadow since he was his replacement.  Still, the thought of DeCinces next to Cal would have been nice. Imagine if they were able to afford Grich too. Free Agency killed the Orioles once it really got going, and then their drafting got pretty terrible too. The Orioles were in the playoffs 6 of 9 years from 1966 to 1973, winning two World Series. From 1977 (when free agency really kicked off), the Orioles made the playoffs in 4 of the next 34 years, winning one World Series in 1983.  
    • @sportsfan8703 you have warmed me to the idea of Scherzer. However, given his age/injury risk and given that the move will be more of a salary dump that a cost of prospects, what do you think of adding another SP along with him to protect against the risk?  I know that we have Kremer coming back so that might need be necessary? But the age/injury concerns with Scherzer worry me.
    • It really is a great enhancement. I wish they would start doing this to old games and give us an archive. I know there are some on You Tube, but wouldn't it be great to be able to pull up any Orioles game from the past? I'd love to found an amazing game and go back and watch.
    • If we're talking one season, Zach Britton's 2016 season has to be on top. He was 47 for 47 in save opportunities. Of course that wasn't good enough to pitch in the most important game of the year, but that's for another thread!
    • I’m not sure anyone has much confidence in anyone. I hope we get someone good, and not just one, either.
    • The fact that this team is obliterating team and MLB records for home runs without a guy who very well could end up the best power hitter on the team at some point is pretty amazing.  Mayo might be the best prospect in this system. Really Holliday, Mayo and Basallo all could lay claim to the best prospect in the system. 
    • The Fangraph rankings didn't have Liranzo and Almeyda either so are you using them as your "bible"? I mean, I'm not knocking them, but they are clearly going of draft status on some of these guys and not having Etzel on here when he's totally outplayed everyone else, including Bradfield, in his draft class so far is head scratcher. I'm not ready to say Etzel is a better prospect than Bradfield yet, but it's not out o the question. I think Bradfield has been working on a new approach and swing this year and that's why the production has been slow to come.  I still have high hopes for Bradfield and he's still an impact defensive outfielder.
  • Popular Contributors